- Uzbekistan’s investment potential
- Investment offers
- Recommended for the development of the industry
- Recommended projects by region
- Guide for Investor
- Visa issues
- FEZ and SIZ
- Empty buildings and lands
- «Benchmark Uzbekistan vs. Other countries»
- Interactive maps
- Ongoing investment projects
- Investment projects implementation database
- Online Investor Questionnaire
- Investors’ appeal
- Benefits and preferences for foreign investors
- Foreign credit lines
Today, the sphere of information and communication technologies (ICT) is one of the fastest growing in the global economy, being both an engine of economic growth and a sector that has already significantly changed and transformed economic processes in other sectors and continues to influence the formation of a new type of economy based on knowledge, use of information and products of human intellectual labor.
According to the results of 2017, Uzbekistan occupies the following positions in the leading international rankings:
- The ICT Development Index of the International Telecommunication Union is 95th among 166 countries;
- The UN e-Government Development Index – 80th place (0.54) out of 193 countries;
- The UN e-Participation Index is 47th (0.67) out of 193 countries;
- Global Cybersecurity Index – 93rd out of 165 countries;
- Integrated Index for Postal Development is 114th out of 170 countries (24 points out of 100 possible).
Table 1. General information about the Internet access in Uzbekistan
Общая скорость доступа к международным сетям (Мбит/с)
Общее количество интернет пользователей (млн.)
Стоимость тарифов на интернет-услуги (внешнего канала) для провайдеров (долл.США)
Общая протяжённость волоконно-оптических линий связи (тыс. км.)
Количество абонентов мобильной связи (млн.)
Количество базовых станций мобильной связи (шт)
Общее количество ключей ЭЦП (тыс. шт.)
1 928 094
Количество видов услуг на ЕПИГУ (шт.)
Уровень охвата населения цифровым телевидением (%)
- The number of domains in the “UZ” domain has reached 30,168 websites (an increase to 119%). The number of users of the national e-mail system uMail.uz exceeded 398,500 users (an increase to 151%);
- 10,620 (93.8%) of 11,325 general, secondary and higher education institutions are connected to ZiyoNET network, the amount of resources of ZiyoNET network has exceeded 130,000 (an increase to 119%);
- Official websites of all state governing bodies and local authorities have been created;
- 295 state information resources, 499 state information systems were introduced;
- The number of users with electronic digital signatures reached 1,720 thousand.
- 18.3 thousand base stations were installed in all regions of Uzbekistan in order to ensure the greatest coverage of users, increase the capacity and bandwidth of mobile networks by mobile operators. In 2018, in the regions of our country it is planned to launch more than 450 4G base stations.
- Over the past year, the data transfer rate has doubled. The number of Internet users in the country has doubled to 14.7 million people.
In order to further develop the software market on June 30, 2017, the Resolution of the President No. RP-5099 “On measures of fundamentally improving the conditions for development of information technology industry in the republic” was adopted, which includes benefits and preferences for software developers until January 1, 2028 and Mirzo Ulugbek Innovation Center was created to support the development and implementation of information technologies. The number of companies-residents of the Innovation Center exceeded more than 200 companies.
Residents of the Innovation Center are exempt from January 1, 2028 from:
- payment of all types of taxes and mandatory deductions to state trust funds, as well as a single social payment;
- payment of customs payments (excluding customs duties) for equipment imported for their own use, components, parts, the details, technological documentation, software that are not produced in the Republic of Uzbekistan, according to lists approved in the prescribed manner;
- compulsory sale of a part of foreign exchange earnings from the export of goods (works, services) of own production.
- modernization of the telecommunications infrastructure, including the expansion of broadband access to the Internet, ensuring a full transition to digital telephone communication, television and radio broadcasting systems;
- ensuring implementation of state programs on introduction of “electronic government”;
- ensuring further formation of the national segment of the Internet;
- introduction of modern information systems, software products and databases in the sphere of healthcare, social protection of the population, education, public services, tourism;
- in order to implement the objectives identified by the Action Strategy on five priority areas of development of the Republic of Uzbekistan in 2017-2021, the implementation of the project on creation of the Safe City complex;
- in order to implement the tasks identified by the Action Strategy on five priority areas of development of the Republic of Uzbekistan in 2017-2021, as well as by Decrees of the President of the Republic of Uzbekistan No. DP-5349 of February 19, 2018 “On measures of further improving the sphere of information technologies and communications” and No. DP-5308 of February 22, 2018 “On the state program for implementation of the Action Strategy on five priority areas of development of the Republic of Uzbekistan in 2017-2021 in the “Year of supporting active entrepreneurship, innovative ideas and technologies”, Smart City technologies implementation, aimed at innovative reorganization of urban infrastructure with the use of ICT and other technical facilities;
- implementation of pilot projects for the implementation of Smart City technologies in the city of Tashkent in the areas of Smart Meters, Smart Transport, Smart Medicine, as well as comprehensive implementation of modern urban infrastructures in the city of Nurafshon;
- ensuring transition to a “digital economy”, implementation of blockchain technology development program in 2018–2020, introduction of blockchain technology from January 1, 2021;
- introduction of modern software products, information systems and information resources in the real sector of the economy and among consumers;
- implementation of measures on ensuring information security and introduction of modern technologies of protecting communication networks, software products, information systems and resources, further development of the technical infrastructure for the protection of information resources;
- organization of scientific research and development, training, retraining and advanced training of personnel in the field of modern means of communication, development and implementation of software products, information systems and databases, information security and other areas of information and communication technologies;
- provision of laying fiber-optic communication lines with a length of more than 270 thousand kilometers for the population of remote regions of the country until the end of 2021;
- development of space technology for peaceful purposes in Uzbekistan. To date, there are challenges for training qualified personnel in this area, creation of a ground station for receiving data from remote sensing satellites;
- strengthening the material and technical base and modernization of fixed assets, technical and technological renewal of the postal network;
- modernization of ICT-infrastructure of JSC Uzbekiston Pochtasi;
- modernization of postal logistics infrastructure.
The Republic of Uzbekistan actively cooperates with the following companies in the sphere of information technologies:
Veon (Netherlands), Telia company (Sweden), Atlas International (Germany), Kurt Mitterfellner GMBH (Germany), Kurt Mitterfellner Asia Ltd (Singapore), Fingascom AG (Switzerland), LG CNS (Korea).
Training in the sphere of information technologies is carried out by Tashkent University of Information Technologies. Al-Khwarizmi (TUIT) and Inha University in Tashkent.
TUIT trains specialists in the following areas:
- Computer Engineering,
- IT service,
- Information Security,
- Multimedia Technologies,
- Software Engineering,
- Mobile Systems,
- Television Technologies,
- Audiovisual Technologies,
- Systems and applications of television studios,
- Economics and management in the sphere of ICT,
- Postal Technology,
- Professional education in the sphere of ICT,
- Informatization and Library Science.
TUIT has 13 faculties, 57 departments, 25 areas of education, 819 teachers and 11,000 students.
At Inha University in Tashkent, one of the main areas of education is the School of Computer and Information Engineering (SOCIE). SOCIE is divided into the Department of Computer Science and Software Development (CSE) and Department of Information and Communication Engineering (ICE).
Currently, 30 lecturers (20 of them are professional foreign teachers) work at Inha University in Tashkent and 1,100 students are enrolled.
In 2017/2018 academic year, the number of graduates from Inha University in Tashkent was 99, and TUIT 1,487, of which 213 are software engineers who are potential candidates for jobs in the IT sector in Uzbekistan.
— Law of the Republic of Uzbekistan “On e-commerce” of May 22, 2015, No. LRU-385 (National Legislation Database, December 30, 2017, No. 03/18/455/0492);
— Law of the Republic of Uzbekistan “On e-Government” of December 9, 2015, No. LRU-395 (Collection of Legislation of the Republic of Uzbekistan, 2015, No. 49, Art. 611);
— Decree of the President of the Republic of Uzbekistan of February 19, 2018 No. DP-5349 “On measures of further improving the sphere of information technologies and communications”;
— Resolution of the President of the Republic of Uzbekistan of July 3, 2018 No. 3832 “On measures for development of the digital economy in the Republic of Uzbekistan”;
— Resolution of the President of the Republic of Uzbekistan of March 21, 2012 No. RP-1730 “On measures for further introduction and development of modern information and communication technologies”;
— Resolution of the Cabinet of Ministers of the Republic of Uzbekistan of October 21, 2016 No. RCM-357 “On introducing amendments to the Regulations on organization of the activity of single centers for the provision of public services to entrepreneurship entities on “One Window” principle;
— Resolution of the Cabinet of Ministers of the Republic of Uzbekistan of August 12, 2016 No. 262 “On measures of creating an inter-agency data transmission network of e-government”;