A number of toll roads, wind and solar power plants in Uzbekistan are planned to be built on the basis of a public-private partnership. With the involvement of private companies, they will also modernize international airports and the infrastructure of Tashkent and other cities.
A number of tenders are planned for 2022-2023 to attract private companies to implement large projects in partnership with the state. The list of these projects was approved by the decree of President Shavkat Mirziyoyev No. UP-101 of April 8.
The Decree provides for holding tenders for construction in the field of transport:
- toll road “Tashkent – Andijan” with the assistance of the World Bank;
- toll road “Tashkent – Samarkand” with the assistance of the European Bank for Reconstruction and Development (EBRD);
- construction and management of a new toll tunnel at the Takhtakaracha pass;
- modernization and transfer to management on the basis of PPP of the international airport of Tashkent and other airports with low efficiency, as well as the international airports of Bukhara and Urgench.
Tenders in the energy sector:
- the second stage of the tender for the construction and operation of photovoltaic plants with a total capacity of 500 MW in the Bukhara, Khorezm and Namangan regions with the assistance of the International Finance Corporation;
- the second stage of the tender for the construction and operation of a 300 MW solar power plant in the Guzar district of Kashkadarya with the assistance of the Asian Development Bank (ADB);
- construction and operation of a wind power plant with a capacity of 200 MW in Karauzyak and Beruni districts of Karakalpakstan with the assistance of the EBRD;
- construction and operation of a wind farm with a capacity of 700 MW in Karakalpakstan with the assistance of the EBRD;
- construction and operation of a PV power plant with a capacity of 100 MW in the Fergana region with the assistance of ADB;
- construction of heat and cogeneration stations in Tashkent;
- organization and management of hydroelectric power plants based on PPP.
It is planned to modernize and manage, with the participation of business, wastewater treatment facilities in Tashkent, modernize the heat supply system of the Bukhara region, as well as reconstruct and manage the city sewerage treatment facilities of Namangan.
The Khokimiyat of the city of Tashkent and the State Committee for Ecology and Environmental Protection will involve businesses in the sorting and processing of household waste in Tashkent and the Tashkent region.
In the healthcare sector, private companies plan to involve in partnership with the state in the following projects:
- radiotherapy centres in Fergana, Khorezm, Tashkent and Samarkand regions with the assistance of the IFC;
- multidisciplinary hospital in the Fergana region;
- medical centres in Bukhara and Andijan regions;
- acceleration of the organization of hemodialysis services in Tashkent, Khorezm and Karakalpakstan, etc.
Projects in education for private companies and the state:
- construction, reconstruction and equipping of educational institutions with the assistance of the IFC, EBRD and ADB;
- 16 secondary schools in Tashkent and the Tashkent region with the assistance of ADB;
- construction of university dormitories, etc.
For many of the listed areas, project documentation has yet to be developed, and the expected volumes of project financing by the parties are not indicated.